Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 4

2 Miles

On a Treadmill. At Home. In my Vibrams. With the company of the morning news and my dog!  He ran by my side most of the time. :)

I will attempt an outdoor run this weekend in the Vibrams!  I will have more time, and no shortage of rain.  I measured the distance from the Mercer Island Park and Ride to the 24 Hour Fitness in DT Seattle, and it's 6 miles. Hm, maybe when I am more accustomed to the 4+ milers. :)

I also washed my Vibrams this morning with a tiny bit of laundry detergent, warm water, and a toothbrush. And then squeezed a bit of water out of them before putting them upside down near the heater vent (the only warm place in my house.) Apparently they are easily machine-washable (the inside of the shoes say so!) But some reviews I've read say that machine washing makes them more prone to getting holes on the tops/sides of the shoes.  I plan on washing them at least once a week so they don't even START getting stinky... I hope. :)

By the time I got home, they were completely dry! Yay for Vibrams!


I worry about getting injured a lot because I'm pretty much going from no activity to well, an okay amount without any guidance than random online guides. Here are some tips I've heard about keeping your shins healthy or keeping the shin splints away!

Stretch and exercise the muscles around the shins all at the same time with some Heel Raises!

Time Required: 5 minutes

Here's How:


  • Stand with your heels together and toes pointed out.
  • Slowly lift your heels up, stand on your toes, and lower yourself back down.
  • Do 2 to 3 sets of 12 repetitions.
  • Now, stand with your big toes together and heels far apart.
  • Slowly lift your heels up, stand on your toes, and lower yourself back down.
  • Do 2 to 3 sets of 12 repetitions.



Here is another link for all around great stretches!
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Happy jogging! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip Diana! I tend to get shin splints so I will try this out.

    ReplyDelete