Thursday, January 20, 2011

Things change.

I learn.

I am a beginner. I need to TAKE. IT. SLOW.

That means not pushing myself to run more and more miles, no matter that little bit of high feeling I get when I can barely breathe.... Those are NOT what I should be doing to my body.

Reading this book has opened up a lot of insight and also chatting with very experienced runners have made me realize that pushing hard at first is NOT what you want to do, it will inevitably cause more harm and injury than any kind of good. A slow, consistent routine to get the body up to par with actually DOING the exercise helps. I did not know for example that even if the heart and lungs may feel good enough to go that quick 6mph, my slower-adapting muscles and tendons need that paced intro into the activity.

I was worried about my knees starting to feel sore, but that is a common area for beginning runners to be sore. I am definitely going to switch back into my running shoes to support those knees, and keep jogging, but now for only a maximum of 20-30 minute jaunts at a time until my whole body becomes accustomed to the activity.

I haven't had any energy or spare time to go jogging in the past couple days, or probably even tomorrow, but this gives me a nice relaxing time in bed reading my book, and I am enjoying the informative time off.

Happy Trails! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment